The Health Wonder – Curcumin. Medical world has discovered that turmeric contains a special compound called Curcumin, a naturally occurring antioxidant that is the source of its various benefits. Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, and it has powerful biological properties. Its incredible list of healing properties include antioxidant, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic and anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric may inhibit the activity and synthesis of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipooxygenase (5-LOX), which are enzymes related to inflammation.
- It helps in pain inhibition.
- It has potential neuro protective benefits. So it may be effective against Parkinson’s disease.
- Curcumin targets multiple degenerative pathways, mitochondrial dysfunction and protein aggregation to restore striatal dopamine levels.
- Those who have just undergone surgery may experience pain and tenderness at the site of operation, curcumin may help to solve this problem.
- Curcuminoids helps to decrease myocardial infarction in people who have undergone coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Curcumin helps to lower total cholesterol level, as well as LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
Lowered Risk of Diabetes
- According to a study published in Diabetes Care, consuming curcumin regularly may help to prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes
- Successfully treats some forms of eye diseases caused or aggravated by inflammation
- Reduces inflammatory response in the eyes
- Apart from keeping brain healthy, curcumin helps to promote the healthy functioning of various mental aspects, such as emotional and psychological wellbeing.
Lowered Cancer Risk
Interestingly, curcumin helps to lower the risk of various types of cancers because it modulates genetic activity and expression. Specifically, it has been found to help:
- Inhibit the synthesis of a protein which is believed to play a role in the formation of tumors.
- Impede the transformation of cells from normal to tumor.
- Destroy mutated cancer cells to prevent them from spreading throughout body.
- Induce anti-angiogenesis, which is the prevention of producing additional blood necessary for cancer cell growth.
- Curcumin has a positive effect on maintaining digestive health
- Accelerates wound healing
- Repairs oily skin condition & prevents acne
- Protects against sun damage
- It has anti-aging effect
One tablespoon (tbsp) of turmeric powder contains:
- 29 calories
- 91 grams (g) of protein
- 31 g of fat
- 31 g of carbohydrates
- 1 g of fiber
- 3 g of sugar
Dr Venkataramana Hegde
Veda Wellness Center
Nisarga Mane, Sirsi,